I am proud to be called a Knight!
I have taken some time to research what it means to be a Knight. The modern concept of the Knight is; an elite warrior sworn to uphold the values of loyalty, courage, and honor. Knights were expected, above all, to fight bravely and to display professionalism and courtesy.
The Noble Knight:
- Loyalty- The importance of reputation for loyalty in noble conduct demonstrated.
- Forbearance: Self-control towards others and at the courts of their lords was a part of the early nobility.
- Liberality: Generosity was part of the noble quality of knighthood.
- Chivalry Ethic: - Standing up for protection of the weak and helpless.
- Honor: Honor was what was achieved by living up to the ideal quality and behavior of oneself.
- Knights Expectation: Always expected to be the champion of the Right and the Good.
The knight's effectiveness depended greatly on his ability to stay mounted on his horse during combat. A knight could brace himself on horseback as he charged the ranks of his enemy, transferring the power of man and charging horse onto his opponent. At North we want our students to know of their own power and strength it will take to meet the challenges ahead to be productive citizens, community members and future leaders.
I believe the North Ogden Knights are a true reflection of the meaning and representation of the Knight mascot. The strength and courage molded within our students is a daily triumph. Thanks to our supportive teachers, staff, parents and community for all the time and effort they have given to build these amazing students to reach their full potential.
As you walk into the school, you see the majestic shining Knight. We are reminded daily of the values and characteristics it holds to be a North Ogden Knight.
Mrs. Wendy N. Long
North Ogden Junior High